Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Yunel Escobar suspended 3 games for slur on eyeblack



Yunel Escobar delivered his message. Major League Baseball and the Toronto Blue Jays responded with one of their own, a blunt, forceful directive that said: Homophobia will not be tolerated.

Escobar, the Blue Jays' starting shortstop, was suspended three games for wearing what the team called "an unacceptable message'' on his eyeblack during Saturday's game.

The players association was consulted on the matter and won't appeal the suspension.
A photo of Escobar's eyeblack, sporting a sentence with a Spanish-language slur against gays, was posted online Monday, sparking debate on social media and spurring MLB to investigate.

Escobar met with news reporters before Tuesday's game at Yankee Stadium and said through coach Luis Rivera that the slur on his face was "just a joke."

"I agree with the suspension. I don't have any problem with that. â?¦ I'm embarrassed," said Escobar, a native of Cuba who came to the USA as a teenager. "I'm sorry for my actions of the other day. â?¦ I don't have anything against homosexuals.

Read more on USA TODAY


No comments: