Thursday, September 20, 2012

Shiver me timbers! It's Talk Like a Pirate Day !


Argh, mateys! It's that time again: National Talk Like a Pirate Day.

How to talk like a pirate? The Johnny Depp movies are a guide, the Disney ride they were based on, and the Talk Like A Pirate Day website.

But readers know the best reference for pirate talk -- invented, yes, but still iconic -- is Robert Louis

Stevenson's classic adventure tale, "Treasure Island."

Here are some lines from the book. Feel free to borrow from them for pirate-speak to brighten up your day.

There must be a way to work the expressions "smart as paint" or "I'll stake my wig" into that meeting you've got this afternoon.

"Keel-hauling, was you? and a mighty suitable thing, too, and you may lay to that. Get back to your place for a lubber, Tom."

"You're a lad, you are, but you're as smart as paint."

"Three goes o' rum! Why, shiver my timbers, if I hadn't forgotten my score!"

"I've taken a notion into my old numskull."

"Why, what a precious old sea-calf I am!"

Read more on Los Angeles Times

No comments: